Rosie the Riveter (1942) became an icon, not only in the United States but also around the world with the 'can do' attitude to getting things done.

It is this 'can do' attitude of the Plimmerton Community that is bringing our 1940 era Railway Station back to life.

Our 1940s railway station refurbished in a combined effort by the local community, Tranz Metro and Porirua City Council. 

When rail management wanted to remove our long closed up railway station and replace it with glass shelters the community moved into action to look at ways the station could be saved and refurbished.

With the help of so many volunteer professional trades people and devoted Plimmertonians this ambitious project continues.



 

Hey Dave and Allan,
how many hours so far?
850 volunteer hours as at 14 August 2010.
Updated to
1000+ volunteer hours as at 1 September 2010.

 

Saving the railway station benefits everyone in the community:

  • A key element of our history (see our RR history page) is retained...and restored to its 1940 utilitarian usefulness!
  • A reliable tenant with a proven business track record (!) will attract visitors to Plimmerton and create vibrancy on the station
  • Commuters and visitors will enjoy a comfy, warm, inside waiting room
  • Spruced up services will make train travel to Plimmerton a more enjoyable experience.

 

Stage one

Working bees by professionals and volunteers have seen the roof and guttering replaced, old iron removed from the platform to bins, concrete broken up by experts and removed by wheelbarrowing volunteers, the internal walls and accumulated rubbish removed and carted off into bins…between January and April more than 185 voluntary hours was clocked up…and that’s not counting the time spent by volunteer tea, coffee and muffin makers who have kept the troops fed and watered.

 

Stage two

From May onwards internal refurbishment of the building has been the focus with plastering, electrical, plumbing and other specialist building skills in demand. Project managers Allan Dodson and Dave Anderson were flat out organising installation of electrical cable for lighting and power, preparing plumbing requirements in the refurbished area, putting insulation in the ceiling and walls, installing the ceiling and walls, and plastering and preparation for painting.

 

Stage three

During August and September the exterior of the building is being prepared for painting - scraping, filling, sanding, priming, undercoating and top coating - with all the hard graft that involves.

The interior is now plastered and windows and doors are being installed.  The interior painting and fit out will be completed so the tenant can move in in time for the official opening on 10 October this year.  As at 14 August, the community has notched up 850 volunteer hours.  Today, 1 September 2010, the volunteer hours is up to 1000+.  Well done team!


 

Allan Dodson 233 1087 agcdodson@xtra.co.nz

Dave Anderson 233 1659 david.rosemary@ihug.co.nz

Visit the RRS photo album to see all our hard working volunteers plus photos showing progress made in August.

See latest PCC  report.



By 1886 it was popular to take a trip out to Plimmerton on the train. The leasee of the Plimmerton railway refreshment rooms, Mr Lennie, advertised in the Evening Post, 21 January 1886, that he was proud to offer:

With anniversary and holidays the Manawatu and Wellington Railway offered cheap excursion trips to Plimmerton and Pukerua Bay.

This one to celebrate St Patricks Day 1886.

The opening of Plimmerton by the railway saw it become a popular destination and by 1888 sections were being offered as the ‘Future Brighton of New Zealand’. The Evening Post ran a series of articles advertising the sale of superb marine sections at Plimmerton, 2 June 1888.



The sale of sections continues with lots 9 and 10 being offered by auction in October 1891.

The charm of Plimmerton was written about in the Taranaki Herald with their reporter ‘Egmont” writing in November 1891 ...


The advertisement featured in the Evening Post, March 1893, carried a new logo for the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company and notice also the spelling of Paekakariki.


The summer destination of Plimmerton was highlighted with Mr Charles Plimmer advertising in the Feilding Star, October 1895, the opening of Plimmer House.

In 1895 Sunday fares to Plimmerton were advertised in the Evening Post.


 

Plimmerton Railway Station 1885

The railway line between Wellington and Longburn (Palmerston North) was constructed by the Wellington & Manawatu Railway Company.  The difficult terrain meant that it had to be completed in stages.

One stage was the construction of the Paremata Bridge.  The five-span timber truss bridge, supported on cast iron piers was completed mid January 1885. This bridge remained in use until 1960 when a new bridge, to the west of the original, was constructed. 


The rails across this bridge and to Plimmerton were not completed until six months later and in late August the Wellington Evening Post ran an item on the excursion to Plimmerton by the Wellington & Manawatu Railway Company (W&MRC) with invites issued to all members of both Houses of Parliament, their wives and a number of Government officials.

The Paremata station opened for regular passenger trains when the W&MRC advertised that on 14 September 1885 they would commence to run passenger services to and from Parramatta  (spelling used in the Evening Post Advert ) the cost of a first class ticket would be 4s 4d that of a second class 2s 11d.

The Wellington Evening Post also advertised on 14 September 1885 that Cobb and Co, coach services to Foxton would now start and stop at Parramatta rather than as previous Wellington. The beginning of the end to stage coach services.

The line to Plimmerton was opened with a special excursion train on 3 September 1885 with a return fare of 2s, regular trains were scheduled from Plimmerton from 10 October 1885.
The line opened Plimmerton with regular excursions being run to the seaside being advertised in Wellington’s Evening Post. (see article above) 
The number of trains terminating at Plimmerton tempted a local Paremata builder to take advantage of the number of passengers arriving with Mr. T. Bould (Thos. Bould) opening refreshment booth advertising, 29 October 1885, that he would serve tea, coffee, sandwiches, fruit and all kinds of refreshing drinks.

The W&MRC quickly built their own refreshment rooms and these were leased to Mr J A Lennie who advertise in December 1885 ‘Plimmerton – The Place to Spend a Happy Day’
The photo C1890 show the first Plimmerton Station was a simple three room building with a monoslope roof built of the seaward side of the tracks. (have not determined if this is the Refreshment rooms but I think it is only to service the station)

From the Porirua City web site.

On 29 December 1885 the Manawatu Herald noted that trains had been run as far as Pukerua Bay so another extension of the Wellington to Longburn route had been completed.

See what today's Plimmertonians are up to - RRS project.