Plimmerton – May 1937 (seventy five years ago) Story by Allan Dodson
Sir George Troup, 1863 - 1941, was the New Zealand Railway architect who designed the Dunedin Railway Station for which he got the nickname of 'Gingerbread George'. He also developed, in the early 1900's, the island style railway station and this design was used in the construction of the new (1940) Plimmerton Railway Station. Sir George Troup was influential in the development of Plimmerton. He had purchased 365 acres of land in the area that was to become, once sub-divided, Karehana Bay. Many of the streets in the area; Cluny, Airlie, Gordon and Ogilvy reflect Sir George's Scottish background. Sir George was a benefactor in the area along with Mr. G.S. Moore they donated the land that is now Karehana Park (read more about Karehana Park).
Sir George Troup was knighted 1 February 1937. This photo is from his obituary 1941. 
|Karehana Park - May 1937: "For the purpose of providing a play area for the children of Karehana Bay, Sir George Troup and Mr. G.S. Moore have given an area of land between Cluny and Pukerua Bay Road. The gift is a result of representations made by Mr. James Wallace, chairman of the executive of the newly-formed Plimmerton and Karehana Bay Rate Payer's Protection Association. The area of land is nearly two acres, but half an acre has been reserved next to the Presbyterian Church for a manse should this be required in the future. The property will be vested in four trustees, three of whom will be appointed immediately."|
|Karehana Park - Cluny Road entrance|
|Karehana Park - Airlie Road (old Pukerua Bay Road) entrance|
|Karehana Park looking north.|
|Karehana Park looking south.|
|The future development of Karehana Park is a potential project for interested residents in conjunction with PCC and Plimmerton Residents' Association.|
 Plimmerton Residents' website - History - Street names.
 Papers Past - Evening Post - 19 May 1937
 Papers Past - Evening Post - 4 October 1941